Wednesday, May 30, 2012

the land of gandhi, saris & masala chai

{long photo post}
At the end of April of this year, my brother Enzo and I (semi)spontaneously went to India with my dad when he had a flight there.As the crew were only staying in New Delhi for four days, we tried squeeze in what we wanted to do within that short time. And getting a taste of India's magic, I really want to go back!

Delhi is such a juxtaposition of two opposites. In one side it's all modern and rich, in the other you really see the heart of India at the bazaars, the cows roaming the roads...


India Gate. The commemorative arch of India's war heroes. You won't see the scale from this picture but up close, it is massive!


The sari clad women. It's wonder how you see so many saris and i never saw two that were exactly alike!




At the heart of (old) Delhi is the main bazaar road. The place is bustling with activity! There are a few inns frequented by backpackers but more importantly, this is the best place to shop!







#letsgetlost




We took the early morning fast train to from Delhi to Agra-the city of the Taj Mahal. :) I was so giddy when we arrived at the Agra station and took a car to see the Taj. And it did not disappoint. It's beauty is beyond words.





*cue watery eyes*










some of the many interesting arcades and arches around the Taj Mahal






Agra fort is the palace of the king and Mumtaz Mahal during their reign. When Mumtaz died, he had the Taj Mahal built where he can directly view it from the palace of Agra fort. Nakakaiyak naman e.











Fatehpur Sikri









This was (is!) truly a magical place. Can't wait to go back and visit the other places I missed! This time I'll stay longer :)


  

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Nikki! India & you both. I love that I could almost see, hear, feel, smell, touch India thru your stories & pictures! So happy for you! :-) I promise I will go there 1 day :-)

    ReplyDelete